Eastern Africa Regional Gene Bank hosted at NAGRC&DB
Roles of a regional gene bank
- Provide cryopreservation facilities for countries lacking national gene banks;
- Provide back-up storage for national gene banks (i.e. a second location for security purposes); and
- Store material from trans-boundary breeds.
- Provide a uniform methodology for Characterisation, identification and evaluation of breeds to be preserved.
- Collection, freezing, shipping and storage of germplasm;
- Long term care, documentation and security of the samples.